Contesting a Citation

If you believe that you are not guilty of the violation alleged in your citation, you have a right to a trial where the State is required to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  You can either request a trial by judge or a trial by jury.  By setting your case for trial, you will be giving up your right to require that your case be dismissed through a driving safety course, deferred adjudication, or community service.  If you wish to request a trial by judge or jury, you can either appear in person at the Municipal Court or fill out and submit a plea form detailing your “not guilty” plea and identifying what type of trial you are requesting.

When to submit

Please submit your request for trial on or before your initial appearance date to avoid the issuance of a warrant for failure to resolve your court business.  Once your request is received and processed, you will be notified by mail of your:

  • Pretrial Court Date
  • Trial Court Date (Jury or Judge)
  • Time of trial

Please also refer to the Court’s discussion of the trial process.

Additional Trial Fees

In addition to a fine, state law mandates that the Court assess court costs.  If you are found not guilty at trial, no fine or court costs will be assessed against you. If you request a trial and are found guilty, however, you may be assessed the costs of any overtime for a police officer spent testifying at the trial.  If you request a jury trial, a $5 jury fee may also be assessed against you.