H-E-B Tennis Center Renovations
Project History and Funding
The Economic Improvement Corporation (EIC), the City’s 4b sales tax corporation, allocated funding for improvements to the H-E-B Tennis Center. A public hearing was held and the funding agreement was subsequently approved by both the EIC and the Kerrville City Council in January 2017. Staff initiated a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) process with submittals received from eight firms. In June 2017, City Council authorized staff to negotiate a design services agreement with the consultant team selected, Schrickel Rollins and Associates (SRA) from Arlington, Texas. Their team also consists of Hewitt Engineering of Kerrville, MDS Surveying of Boerne, and Rock Engineering of San Antonio, all experienced firms in working with the City of Kerrville.
The project consists of engineering and architectural improvements to the H-E-B Tennis Center located at 801 Tennis Drive. The original complex was built in 1978 with six courts, pro shop / restroom, and parking. Improvements consisting of an additional eight lit courts, pavilion, trail, and playground were completed in the 1990’s. The current facility now consists of a total of 14 lit courts.
In mid-2016, the original battery of asphalt courts were resurfaced and re-striped to seal cracks. This repair was a temporary solution with no guarantee on life expectancy with the knowledge that the courts would eventually need to be overlaid, possibly with a concrete cap. Striping for Jr. Courts and Pickleball was also added at this time to support programming needs.
The design scope of work for the project includes stakeholder input, plan development, bid document preparation, bid evaluation, and construction management assistance for drainage, tennis court, and building renovation needs at the facility, which requires professional engineering and architectural services. The consultants held multiple meetings with stakeholders, staff, and the public to prepare the overall master plan for the Tennis Center. The master plan in its entirety is estimated to cost $4 million. Staff worked with SRA to develop a scope for the first phase. The proposed phase 1 construction scope will address the following for approximately $1.4 million:
- Drainage upgrades in the center of the complex and redesign of observation areas;
- Resurfacing of existing courts and improved shaded seating;
- ADA / TDLR access for all paths-of-travel
- Create pathway between courts 5-8 and 9-10 to improve access to courts 11-14 and future courts (route players through pro shop). This will require adjustments to the parking lot and reconstruction of courts 9-10;
- Court fencing upgrades on courts 1-10;
- Improvements to the pro shop;
- Parking access improvements at courts 11-14;
- Practice court resurfacing, signage, dumpster screen, and site furniture as needed.
Public Input Process
Public Input Meetings:
- Meeting 1: November 7, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. at City Hall
- Meeting 2: April 17, 2018 at 4:00 p.m. at the H-E-B Tennis Center (click here to view the presentation)
The project went through the public bid process, and the opening was held on November 13, 2018 with four submittals. The apparent low bid was J.K. Bernhard Construction. The construction contract is scheduled to be awarded at the December 11, 2018 City Council meeting. Click here for the bid tabulations.